The project brings together all skills, expertise and experience, as is clear from the different past and current projects upon which it is based. These include:
- Interactive Design Tools for funicular Shells
- RhinoVAULT - Designing funicular form with Rhino
- Form Finding to Fabrication: An integrative digital design process
- Digital Stereotomy
- Free-form Masonry Shells
Check out the movie, which gives an overview of the process, and the 3D-printed structural model.
The project was exhibited at the 13th International Architecture Exhibition at the Venice Biennale 2012, titled "Common Ground". We were invited by Patrik Schumacher, partner at Zaha Hadid Architects, to contribute to their invited exhibition on shell structures.
Thanks to Carmen Castanos, Anna Falvello Tomas and Ramon Weber for their help building the structural model, and Lorenz Lachauer for his inputs in the initial design stage of the project.
- Overall concept and design: Block Research Group, ETH Zurich with Escobedo Construction
- Client and Development Partner: MFI
- Structural design: Block Research Group, ETH Zurich
- Structural engineering: ODB Engineering and Structures
- General Contractor: Escobedo Construction
- Fabrication optmization: Block Research Group, ETHZ with Escobedo Construction
- Stone Fabrication: AX5 Resources with Escobedo Construction
- Formwork Engineering: Peri Systems